Tweets

    14 July 2010

    Friends

    Today has ben a good day. It's good to know that I don't need alcohol to have an absolutely tip-top time as long as I have a Hannah with me! We used to make plans on how to spend the day, but now we just go with it and let the day unfold as and how it does, and it really makes for a fantastic time.

    Today got me thinking though. How many of the friends I hold nearest and dearest will I know in ten years time? I still know many of my friends from ten years ago, but then again I haven't had the chance to get away from them exactly (no offence, you lot). In tens years time I'll probably be married, but will those who I know now even remember me then? I hope so. I hope I know all my friends in the years to come, but I have to face the cold, hard truth and realise that that's probably not going to happen. We all lose touch with certain people, and I know a lot of people who I will lose contact with, and I'll miss them, but it certainly won't be the end of the world. Originally, I thought Facebook would keep me in touch with everyone, but the truth of it is, I talk to very few people who I actually have as friends on there. Why? Because I have in excess of three hundred of the buggers. Now don't get me wrong, I'm as sociable as the next man (probably more so), but I can't keep track of three hundred sods, and there's no point pretending I can. I know a lot of people, and I mean a lot, but I could probably count those people who I don't think I could bare to live without (who aren't directly related to me) on two hands with no problem at all. The truth is, you only really lend yourself to a select few because those are the people who you share a truly deep bond with, and as I've aged I've realised that those who I thought I shared this bond with have drifted slowly and slowly further from me, and I'm not going to lie. I miss them, but I'm not beside myself about it. Take a lesson from me: find out who it is you care about the most and make sure you hold on to them, and don't let them out of your sight. The drab and 'sameyness' that you get from those you've known the longest may seem like a bad thing compared to the exciting, fresh, unbridled air of mystery that comes from your new friends will never match up to the fact that you could sit in a room with one of your real friends for hours in complete silence and still want to see them again the next day.

    Those who are closest to me, you know who you are, and I wouldn't trade any of your for the world. You're the one who make me want to leap out of bed in the morning and live life to its fullest. I love you all (except those with testes, I just like you as friends), don't ever change.