Tweets

    13 May 2011

    Working Nine 'Til Five

    I posted this a few days ago, but for some reason it seems to have disappeared. Most likely something to do with the fact that Blogger went down yesterday. Not one to complain, I thought I'd just repost it in its entirety. I knew there was a reason I made backups. Sorry, but the thousands of comments you all posted cannot be saved, and will forever be lost in the internet. Diddums.

    Anyway, enjoy:

    -

    Tempting way to make a living. I've just got back from a shift, and despite my muscles being annoyed at me for standing up and my liver twitching because I haven't been drinking, I'm enjoying it. How long have I been at this job now, two months? I can tell you, it feels a lot longer than that. I may enjoy it, but let's be brutally, brutally honest; I'm doing it for the money. If I could have the same amount of money that I get from working for sitting on my arse playing Dragon Age II all day, I'd run there right now and hand in my resignation, but unfortunately it matters not how many sovereigns and silvers I collect from hurlock corpses, real money is worth infinitely more. But I digress, the main point I want to make is simple, and that is the fact that education does not seem quite as worth my time as working.

    I am looking forward to university with every fibre of my being, but at the same time there's a part of me shouting "Stay at the hotel, if you become full time you may even get a manager's position in a few years time!" from the back of the theoretical crowd in my mind. Now a manager's role may be pushing it a bit, but all my bosses seem to be thoroughly impressed with my work, and it seems every couple of weeks I take on more and more responsibilities. I feel that despite the short time that I've been there, I've already left an impression on the place (or at least the staff), and it would be a shame not to exploit that and drain it of every ounce of life it has.

    Of course, the path I will take (because it would be sheer madness not to) is university. With any luck in three or four months time I'll be living the vida local in Canterbury, learning all sorts of fantastical nigh-on non-existent words and their obscure classes, or giving an aardvark a skin graft. Then, the year after I'll be setting sail to Brussels to learn the ancient way of the sprout and gain disgusting amounts of weight with all the chocolate and child abuse*. Yet there's still that part of me that wants to cling on to the job I  have, and to make more of a career out of it, and live a normal, boring life.

    Then again, I've just remembered that wedding reception we had where ugly, annoying people demanding terrible alcohol until four o'clock in the bloody morning.

    ...

    I'm going to uni.


    *Mildly obscure film reference. If you know it, leave a comment below