Tweets

    15 January 2011

    Shiny Happy People

    I'm not going to deny it, I am a consumer. I consume and consume and consume, especially if it's something I believe to be worth having, be it a rather lovely cut of pork, or even a lovely brand-spanking new piece of kit to make my blogging easier, I'm a sucker for quality. What I'm not a sucker for though, is tat. And there is oh so much tat out there.

    Not too long ago I curtailed myself into the dreaded lands known as 'Poundland' in order to buy something, I believe my nose was running and I needed a tissue if my memory serves me correctly. As I wandered around aimlessly like a bemused child muses the power tools in their father's garage, I took a closer look at some electronic items that they had for sale. A headset and microphone, headphones by the number, and more memory card readers than I have teeth. Every single one of them was a pound.

    How on Earth can you manage to produce a piece if hardware like that for such a ridiculous price? I see absolutely no logic behind it whatsoever, their turnover must be mere pennies per item sold or somehow less. Just why do you torture me with your cheap, ineffective goods like a £5 prossie every time I gather enough strength to enter you Poundland? I know deep down I will not be able to use any if this, but that price makes me want to grab several items just to see if they work, and if they don't to make a rudimentary rocket-propelled SD card launcher. Actually, that's not a bad idea... I digress, my point is that there are entire companies that seem to be able to sell such rubbish, and people buy it! Perhaps they have the same SD cannon visions as I have, but more likely they're in the habit of buying the cheapest solution to everything. Is that too cynical? Who knows. All I know is that this has to stop, and I'm waging war on crappy goods starting this day!

    No longer will we have to suffer with toys of our favourite comic book characters crudely assembled by sweaty men in string vests only to be put i the wrong boxes so they get put in the 'My Little Pony' section by mistake. No, we will be free of those that lack quality, and our children will learn to respect everything we buy them and everything they buy themselves. All too often these days I see more and more young people going through Xboxes faster than Steve Jobs after a long, hard day of selling us sparkly pretty things that twinkle in the light o a 40w bulb, and that simply shouldn't be happening. I love my Xboxes, I really do, but they're simply not built to last. They make too much noise, the quality of the materials is below sub-underclass par, and promises to collapse inwards on itself if you happen to stand near it and cough. Something ness to be done.

    Join me in the war against tat, buy something just a little bit classier than whatever happens to be in a blister pack amongst display-cased pieces of pure wonder, toss aside that happy meal and instead support a small local bakery and buy a bun that was lovingly hand-made only that morning. It doesn't take much.

    Pull your finger out of your arse and get cracking.