Tweets

    13 September 2010

    Chocolate That Lingers In The Mind

    Last Saturday I tore myself away from my Xbox long enough to enjoy the wonders that are housed in the Soil Association Organic Food Festival. It was certainly a day well spent, some of the food there the likes of which the world has never seen the likes of which.*

    For today's entry I'm going to be posting a short extract from an article I'm writing about the event, focussing on one particular stall that truly caught my eye, owned by a company called Montezuma's, who produce organic chocolate in varied and exciting flavours:

    -

    As I wandered around the various canvas-covered attractions laid before me, I noticed a series of chocolates that caught my eye. I recognised them immediately, and upon closer inspection realised that I had seen the very same company there two years ago at this very festival. Itching to know more about the company brave enough to launch chilli & lime as their flagship flavour, I asked a young lady how the company started.

    "Our company was started in 2000 by a couple in London who decided to drop everything and go into chocolate, they went travelling and our first shop was opened in Brighton in 2000 and we are now based in West Sussex in Chichester"

    A stirring tale indeed, but is their cocoa ethically sourced?

    "Our house blend is from the Dominican Republic, but we also source beans from Peru, Ecuador, Venezuela and some from Papa New Guinea as well. We know all the places they're sourced from and we remain in good contact with all the suppliers"

    Always good to hear, but how do they feel about appearing at such festivals?

    "We've done this fair a number of times now, we're also at the several chilli festivals, the BBC Good Food Show, and we’re going out to Glastonbury and Reading, the really big events"

    Chances are that you'll see Montezuma's if you plan on attending a food festival any time soon. After the interview I bought myself a bar of chilli and lime chocolate and went on my way with an enormous smile on my face. I can safely put my hand on my heart and say that they are true pioneers of the chocolate industry, and I hope to see much more of them in years to come.

    -

    If you'd like to know more about Montezuma's or buy some of their chocolate (and I explicitly suggest you do), follow the link below.

    Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some more chocolate to eat.



    *Repetition intentional